Elliot says...

Why shouldn't a seven-year-old have a blog? A father poses questions and a son answers directly, honestly, and candidly with the directness, honesty, and candor that only a seven-year-old can bring. Dictated and moderated by AmsterdamAsp , these are the words of Elliot himself: simple and complex observations of the world from the mind of a six-year-old...

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What does it mean to be a Zwarte Piet?

You have to give out pepernoten [dime-sized gingerbread cookies popular during this time of year leading up to the celebration of the Dutch holiday Sinterklaas]. I have to go down the pretend schoorsteen [chimney]. Then I have to bloop, 'cause I [do a flip on the ground] like that. Then I also have to do this [another flip]. Zwarte Pieten also do this [a somersault]. They do this also [crazy dance with his tongue sticking out].

They hide the grote boek van Sinterklaas [Sinterklaas's big book, that supposedly keeps a list of all the children to whom Sinterklaas must deliver presents]. I don't know why they hide the book... They don't want Sinterklaas to find it, I guess... Oh, I know! 'Cause they don't need it so much. And Zwarte Pieten also do this [run around in a circle with his tongue out and then fall to be floor].

They have to ask who they want -- if they want pepernoten. Then I just have to give it to you. Daddy's supposed to give the home group a message: You can only a pepernoot if you ask you if you want you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hat!!! What's a pepernoten?

06:44  
Blogger Eric said...

They're just little cookies that you get from the Zwarte Pieten.

17:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember last year when I was in Amsterdam and got to see Zwarte Piet. That was very cool! I hope you can eat some pepernoten for me, okay?

18:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home