Elliot says...

Why shouldn't a seven-year-old have a blog? A father poses questions and a son answers directly, honestly, and candidly with the directness, honesty, and candor that only a seven-year-old can bring. Dictated and moderated by AmsterdamAsp , these are the words of Elliot himself: simple and complex observations of the world from the mind of a six-year-old...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Could you tell me about your circus at school?



Well, actually I had paint on me by myself. But my teacher painted me. I didn't put on my nose [his foam clown nose], so she painted on a nose with paint. But she didn't paint my hair. Because that would be silly to paint hair. I wore a wig. And I got my things on after. I had pants on together with my clown clothes.

When we were coming in, we marched next to each other. And we made, um... what was that called again? [After some consulting and dialogue in a mix of Dutch and English, we were able to come up with the answer that had eluded him] Een rij -- a row! Then we made another rij, but it was kind of a circle. When I went around the table, Daddy, remember? En je hebt gezwaaid? [And you waved at me?] And there was a song: dum, dum, dum, dum, a-dobee-dumdee-dumbee dum...

I was the clown, and I was in the song. My balloon was stuk [broken] -- so I made it sad like this... And then I got a new balloon, and I blowed, and I blowed, and I blowed, and it went "BAM!" And then it popped again. Then the circus directeurs said to me, sometimes I didn't know, but he did see me actually. Ik was op een step [I was on a scooter]. En nog een ding [And one more thing]. Ik heb niet met een voet maar twee voeten [I didn't just do it with one foot, but with two feet]!

Dennis was a leeuw [lion]. And Zubair. And someone else. They jumped through the hoop. The hoop was especially made for leeuwen. For pretend leeuwen. Dennis was wearing a yellow shirt, but he got whiskers because he didn't have whiskers. So they painted him with whiskers.

My Dad came to watch. And my sister came to watch. And Linda came to watch. And Mommy came to watch. But I didn't -- because I was in it.

And when we were done, we loopten [a grammatically incorrect form of "walked"] back naar de klaas [to the class]. And we got some limonade [kool-aid] and koekjes [cookies]. But I ate it before I went home. And then I went home, and that's it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!
DA

02:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elliot,
You did such a nice job of describing your experience as a clown in the circus. Uitstekend! (I'm not sure I spelled that correctly - "outstanding!" in Dutch).
Love, Linda

19:10  
Blogger Eric said...

I was a good clown. But I didn't wear my nose -- my red one, my pretend one. I wore paint on my nose. But now my make-up is off.

15:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You looked great as a clown! I'm glad they didn't paint your hair-that would just be ridiculous!!

18:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home